Loyd,

Here is the routine I use to check for successful ping.

/* Check for a good connection to remote system
 RTYPING:    PING       RMTSYS(&IPADDRESS)

/* Error during ping process. Resend received message
             MONMSG     MSGID(CPF0000) EXEC(DO)
               RCVMSG     MSGTYPE(*EXCP) RMV(*NO) MSG(&ERRTXT) +
                            MSGDTA(&ERRMSGDTA) MSGID(&ERRMSGID) +
                            MSGF(&ERRMSGF) MSGFLIB(&ERRMSGFLIB)
               SNDPGMMSG  MSGID(&ERRMSGID) MSGF(&ERRMSGFLIB/&ERRMSGF) +
                            MSGDTA(&ERRMSGDTA) MSGTYPE(*ESCAPE)
             ENDDO

/* Get last error message and determine if ping was successful
             RCVMSG     MSGQ(*PGMQ) MSGTYPE(*LAST) RMV(*NO) +
                          MSG(&ERRTXT) MSGDTA(&ERRMSGDTA) +
                          MSGID(&ERRMSGID) MSGF(&ERRMSGF) +
                          MSGFLIB(&ERRMSGFLIB)

             IF         COND(&ERRMSGID *EQ 'TCP3210') THEN(DO)

/* Ping command completed but not with 100% success on the connections
               IF         COND(%BIN(&ERRMSGDTA 9 4) *NE 100) THEN(DO)

/* Retry 3 times before sending messages
                 IF         COND(&TRIES < 3) THEN(DO)
                   CHGVAR     VAR(&TRIES) VALUE(&TRIES + 1)
                   DLYJOB     DLY(10)
                   GOTO       CMDLBL(RTYPING)
                 ENDDO

                 CHGVAR     VAR(&ERRMSGDTA) VALUE(&IDENTIFIER *CAT +
                              %SST(&ERRMSGDTA 1 8) *CAT &IPADDRESS)
                 SNDPGMMSG  MSGID(FTP1005) MSGF(QMSGFCO) +
                              MSGDTA(&ERRMSGDTA) MSGTYPE(*ESCAPE)
               ENDDO

             ENDDO

HTH,