Ken Sims wrote:

> Hi Matt -
>
> >Why does the IBM debugger give this message for a non-qualified field
> >(Identifier is ambiguous)?

> Barbara, how can you view/change the standalone field?  There is no data
> structure name to associate it with.  Or is V5R2 smart enough to let you
> view/change the standalone field with just: eval [field]
> V5R1 won't let you do this.

Ken,

In V5R2, the RPG compiler and debugger were changed so that standalone
fields can be debugged even when they have the same name as a qualified
subfield.  This support is not available in V5R1, so you are unable to
debug those fields.

But it turns out you can debug unqualified subfields using the OF
notation.  So you should be able to do put those standalone fields into
an ordinary unqualified DS and debug them.  The compiler won't care
whether they're subfields or standalone fields.

FVNDRCOST  IP   E           K DISK
D VNDRCOSTFLDS  E DS      EXTNAME(VNDRCOST)  <--- add this

In the debugger:
====> eval VITEMID OF VNDRCOSTFLDS

Or, just for debugging, you could code the fields you want to debug into
one DS like this, just listing the names without any length information.

D JUNK            DS
D    VITEMID
D    WHATEVER

====> eval VITEMID OF JUNK