Yes, you can run a QMQRY in batch with a SBMJOB CMD(STRQMQRY etc.). You can create these in a couple ways - use Query Manager (STRQM) and enter the statement there. Or save your SQL session to a source member, delete everything except the statement, and use CRTQMQRY on that source member. Or just type the statement into a source member (RCDLEN 91 - can't use an RPGLE source file).

Concerning performance, you need indexes to help this, but they can be hogs for maintenance over large files. It'd help to have an index over SNTYPE (probably is one), but I'd not think there is one over SNDESC. It's probably having to read the whole blame thing. But could you use a date field to narrow the range of records? See if there's an index on that and put that criterion before the description one. STRDBG, CHGQRYA QRYTIMLMT(0), run the statement to see what the optimizer does (cancel the message you get). You'd want an index that has SNTYPE and the date in the first 2 positions, then arrange your WHERE criteria in the order of the fields in the key,

HTH

Vern