Dear Mark,

The IBM server System Driver Program entry *HPPCLDRV in a *LAN printer
device description causes the TCP Raw Socket protocol (sometimes referred to
as a pipe, or Reverse Telnet) to be used for making a connection to the
target printer's IP address. Conceptually it is much like making a direct
parallel or serial connection to a printer by using a TCP/IP network
connection. The Sockets protocol is bi-directional and it allows a sending
host to ask questions of a target device and to receive responses to
questions via the Socket connection.

Difficulties can sometimes occur when trying to route socket connections to
printers across a wide area network in that requested responses are unable
to find their way back to the host that sent the question. One method to try
and overcome this difficulty is to change the IBM server System Driver
Program to the *IBMSNMPDRV value. This driver uses the SNMP (Simple Network
Management Protocol) to deliver data to the printer. It happens that the
SNMP and Raw Socket support of the JetDirect interfaces that are shipped
with modern HP LaserJet printers are handled from the same TCP port in the
JetDirect TCP/IP stack (port 9100). This makes switching an OS/400 based
printer device description between the two drivers referenced above rather
simple because the System Driver Program parameter entry is the only thing
that needs to be changed to test the two different transport protocols to
see whether one works better than the other.

It is possible that the SNMP driver might be a resolution to your current
problem.

Best Regards,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi
National Product Manager

p: 603-431-0606 x115
f: 603-436-6432
E-mail: paul@intermate-us.com

Special Note: On November 30th, 2002, Print4sight Inc. acquired the business
assets and business activity of Intermate US Inc.

Print4sight Inc. as the official North American distributor will continue to
sell and support Intermate and Praim Printing products from current offices
in Portsmouth, NH, USA.