From: midrange-l-bounces@midrange.com
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@midrange.com] On Behalf Of Al Barsa
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 4:53 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Buell Duncan and Al Zollar - massive relaunch?

Where do you guys get this stuff?????

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

                      Mike.Crump@saint-gob

                      ain.com                     To:       Midrange
Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@midrange.com>
                      Sent by:                    cc:

                      midrange-l-bounces@m        Subject:  RE: Buell
Duncan and Al Zollar - massive relaunch?
                      idrange.com

                      01/09/2003 03:25 PM

                      Please respond to

                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical Discussion

Of course the details will be out very soon but in summary we should
see:

1.) A complete refresh on the 8xx hardware product line (except for the
890) - 800, i810, i825, and i870.

2.) Effectively an elimination of the interactive tax on these models.

3.) A coupling of software resources into packages.  I think it looks
attractive but I guess that depends on pricing and any other gotchas.

4.) Temporary Capacity on Demand

I've gotten this information from 3 different sources.......I'm sure
there
are others who are very privy to the more exacting details.

Now couple this with some Malcolm based marketing?  Sweet.

Michael Crump
Saint-Gobain Containers
1509 S. Macedonia Ave.
Muncie, IN  47302
(765)741-7696
(765)741-7012 f
(800)428-8642

mailto:mike.crump@saint-gobain.com

                      Richard B Baird

                      <rbaird@esourcecons        To:       Midrange
Systems
Technical Discussion
                      ulting.com>
<midrange-l@midrange.com>

                                                 cc:

                      01/09/03 02:48 PM          bcc:

                      Please respond to          Subject:  RE: Buell
Duncan
and Al Zollar - massive relaunch?
                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical

                      Discussion

this from the iseries network NEWS Wire Daily:

----<snip>
Zollar?s software background makes him just the person to lead the
iSeries
through its next incarnation, Duncan says. ?We?re getting ready to have
massive relaunch of the iSeries,? Duncan says, ?and software plays a big
part in that.? (IBM?s expected to release the details of this
transformation on January 20.)
<endsnip>------

what do you suppose a 'massive relaunch' means.  A transformation?
strong
words!  even if it's just a real, targeted, iseries SPECIFIC marketing
campaign, it would be welcome!

Has IBM ever used such strong language about our favorite little
computer
in the past for something we might remember?  I can't think of anything
short of silverlake.  maybe the Lotus port, but that was pretty much
greeted with yawns outside of our little corner of the industry.

i'm sure some on the list are privy to what this means, but are
contractually/duty bound to keep it zipped.

but maybe you could give us a hint?  ;)

rick