Just my 2 cents,

There's also nothing that says that you cannot use SQL to add constraints
to files that are created with DDS. OpsNav makes this quite painless. If
you have the tools, why not use the ones that are best suited for the job.

I don't know your application so it is hard to make an informed statement
on your performance, but, we use about 25% SQL and 75% native I/O. I have
not seen a marked performance improvement using SQL. We use SQL when we
need more flexible data access.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Walter
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
Hanover Wire Cloth a div of CCX, Inc.
mwalter@hanoverwire.com
http://www.hanoverwire.com
717.637.3795 Ext.3040
/"\
\ /
/ \

|--------+------------------------------------>
|        |          Vern Hamberg              |
|        |          <vhamberg@centerfieldtechn|
|        |          ology.com>                |
|        |          Sent by:                  |
|        |          midrange-l-bounces@midrang|
|        |          e.com                     |
|        |                                    |
|        |                                    |
|        |          01/08/2003 04:18 PM       |
|        |          Please respond to Midrange|
|        |          Systems Technical         |
|        |          Discussion                |
|        |                                    |
|--------+------------------------------------>

<midrange-l@midrange.com>                             |
  |       cc:
                              |
  |       Subject:     Re: Changing database to SQL from DDS

Thanks, Tom, I needed this.  ;-)

I also agree with your other post, that once files are created, by
whichever method, they can, for the most part, be processed by whichever
method. E.g., foreign/parent key relationships created with SQL will be
enforced when records are added/changed/deleted with an RPG program.

Regards

Vern