All -

My current client has a requirement to be able to receive several EDI documents
(I'm not sure which ANSI X12 documents, but limited mostly to financial
transactions like invoices & payments on invoices).

Our EAI (Enterprise Application Integration) vendor (SeeBeyond) claims that
they can act as a communications module for sending/receiving EDI documents.

I haven't yet investigated exactly what SeeBeyond can do for us in this regard,
but I suspect that _all_ they can do is transmit/receive the data for us.  I'm
fairly sure that they can't do the necessary translation to create the X12
document as easily as one of the established EDI packages, so I'm fairly sure
that we will still need a translator.

I have prior experience using Premenos/Harbinger/Peregrine/(whatever they are
called now).  I _know_ how to set up trading partners, translation formats,
communications with the VAN, etc.

My question is this:

Does anybody have experience in integrating EAI and EDI to create a solution
for a situation like this?

I'm inclined to just recommend buying the Peregrine or GENTRAN software,
establish a relationship with GXS or some other VAN, and doing EDI the
traditional way.

Any thoughts?  If you provide services for this sort of solution (Mr. Galgano,
etc.), please contact me privately unless you think that what you have to offer
will be beneficial for the midrange-l community as well.

Thanks in advance for your assistance & happy holidays...

Steve Landess
Austin, Texas
(512) 423-0935