These days, DOS attacks are much more "en vogue" than actual break-ins.
Script-kiddies all over the world are equipped with plug-and-go scripts to
probe machines worldwide while they watch the latest downloaded pirated
movie on their DVD. Packet sniffing is tough and likely more "expensive"
(unless you were specifically targeted) - but what are you (or any admin of
ANY system connected to the Internet) going to do when someone starts
"trying" to log on to your system from the Internet? If you're lucky, he'll
"only" deactivate the logins he's guessed after a few invalid attempts. If
you have a fast link, and the script kiddies can hit any machine from dozens
(or hundreds) of remote hosts simultaneously, a simple dictionary attack on
your logon ids could deactivate every id on your system in short order.

And what can you do? Chances are pretty good the "attacking" IP addresses
will trace back to some (hacked) machine in .RU, .CN, .AR, .KR, or any of a
dozen other countries where you have NO law enforcement options. Once you're
hit by one of these attacks, your only option is to shut down your Internet
connection... So, perhaps before the script-kiddies even get very far in
their "attack" - your only recourse is to complete the DOS attack for them
by cutting off all Internet access. You can't call the cops/FBI on them. You
probably can't get access to the machines the attack is hitting you from -
which you'd need to determine where the attackers REALLY launched the attack
from. Null-route the source-IPs in your router and soon they're coming from
another machine.

Telnet/remote shell access (without encryption/SSH) to the Internet leaves
you a "sitting duck".

Certainly attacks like these aren't that "common"... but all it takes is
"pissing off" (or gaining the attention of) one (wrong) teenager somewhere.
Get your system listed on a target list somewhere and bad things WILL happen
to you... It's easy for them, and the odds are in their favor.

 Chris (been there, got the scars, FBI was no help even after WE located the
attacker) Bartram