Of course, the assumption here is you DO have access to the system console
(and obviously the front panel of the system) for the manual IPL !  ;-)

...Neil

----- Forwarded by Neil Palmer/DPS on 2002/11/29 23:29 -----

Neil Palmer
2002/11/29 23:28

        To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: AS400 Signon screen problem - NO FTP Access
available

One solution is to force a manual IPL.
To select manual IPL:
        From front panel, select 02, Enter then up or down to B M and
Enter
To force IPL:
        Select 03, Enter for start IPL

After going through several other screens (you want to IPL the system, not
restore the operating system or use dedicated service tools) you
eventually get the signon screen with date/time and a bunch of other
questions.  One of which is something like Alter or change system at IPL.
Select that option.  Select to work with system values.  If your
controlling subsystem was QCTL before, then you probably changed QCTL (or
else you could get signed on at the console) and QINTER too, so change the
controlling sybsystem to QBASE.  If you had QBASE and changed the signon
display for that, then change the controlling subsystem to QCTL.  Exit and
continue the IPL, F3 when you get the Work with PTF's, and enter on any
messages that pop up.
When the system is up, go change the signon display for the subsystems you
messed up back to QSYS/QDSIGNON, or fix your signon display properly.  To
do that, NEVER change the sequence of fields in the I/O buffer or add any
input or output fields (rearrange things to your hearts content and fields
but DON'T rearrange the I/O buffer - in other words if using SDA don't
resequence the fields by row/column.  Also when you create the display
file you should use the options that QDSDIGNON uses, namely DEV(*NONE),
MAXDEV(256) LVLCHK(*NO)

Now, if you now have QBASE as your controlling subsystem, and your session
is signed onto QBASE, test your signon display by:
        1) Signon another device (into QBASE)
        2) CHGSBSD QINTER SGNDSPF(yourlib/yourfile)
        3) STRSBS QINTER
        4) wait a few seconds for QINTER to start, then TFRJOB QINTER
        5) SysRequest + 1 (or TFRSECJOB command) to get another signon
display, and you should see your signon display.
        6) Test it.

OR

Now, if you now have QCTL as your controlling subsystem, and your session
is signed onto QINTER, test your signon display by:
        1) Signon another device (into QINTER)
        2) CHGSBSD QBASE SGNDSPF(yourlib/yourfile)
        3) STRSBS QBASE
        4) wait a few seconds for QBASE to start, then TFRJOB QBASE
        5) SysRequest + 1 (or TFRSECJOB command) to get another signon
display, and you should see your signon display.
        6) Test it.
(you could use QPGMR above instead of QBASE if you want)

If you have trouble with your signon display, then transfer your test
session back into the other subsystemwith TFRJOB  (to QBASE or QINTER) and
the end the subsystem, fix the display file, and repeat until it works
properly.

When done and working OK, from the session in the "testing" subsystem you
can ENDSBS the real interactive subsystem you normally use (QINTER or
QBASE) and CHGSBSD to use your new SGNDSPF, then restart the subsystem and
TFRJOB back to the correct controlling subsystem - and end the one you
used for testing.

Now - change back your system value QCTLSBSD to whatever it should be, and
change your front panel back to Normal IPL ready for next IPL.
To select normal IPL:
        From front panel, select 02, Enter then up or down to B N and
Enter

...Neil