Scott, Your posts are among those I value the most on this forum.  I respect
Your vast knowledge and experience.. and admire the Your contributions to
Open Source (even though I believe Open Source actually destroys software
innovation, by driving the marketspace into, basically, a commodity market).

Hopefully I've conveyed that I respect and admire Your opinions, even in the
case where I don't agree with some of them, like these You've expressed
above.

I've seen case studies and white papers, and have experience in two shops
which swapped 400 for *nix (and vice versa).

>From what I've seen, You could replace the word "flexible", "'rigid'", and
"flexibility" with such words as "payroll intensive", "integrated", and
"unstable", and then I would agree with what You wrote above, entirely.

So I'm suggesting that if You want to stick with a paradigm, OS/400 is both
economically and architecturally sounder.

jm(ns)ho.