Hi, Carl:

In a single-level-storage environment such as the iSeries, the following
statement falls apart:

    "the CHAIN will require disk I/O"

If the record hasn't been purged from memory, it's going to beat LOOKUP,
hands down.

----

I worked in an environment where implementation the concept of a RAM disk
(remember those) on a S/38 was a requirement.  There was a master file with
a small number of records; ultra-fast access to these records was required,
so the design required "pinning" the records into memory.  Here's what we
did:

Create a subsystem with its own memory pool, large enough to hold those
records and an application to read them.  The application would cycle every
n minutes, just to be sure the latest changes to those records was in its
store.  Mostly, the application was in DLYJOB mode.  This application was
attached as an autostart entry on the subsystem description, and the
subsystem was added to system startup.  The effect was that, as the system
came to life, that memory pool was populated with the required data.  It
was always in memory (since the SBS had its own pool, it wasn't subject to
purge).  Voila!  RAM disk on a S/38.

Maybe some approach like this would satisfy your need?  I'd definitely
stick with the CHAIN, particularly if there's ANY chance that the data
might change after the application is initialized.

HTH

"Carl Galgano" <cgalgano2@ediconsulting.com>@midrange.com on 11/22/2002
09:22:30 AM

Please respond to midrange-l@midrange.com