From: Dennis Lovelady [mailto:dlovelady@dtcc.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 10:01 AM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: Question Re: Piping and Redirection

That would be cool, Zak.

The first problem I see (certainly not insurmountable) is that it might be
needed for monitoring message queues... or for data files ... or for data
queues and on and on, so it's source of input would have to be extremely
flexible.  Having solved that issue, the second issue comes into play, and
that is one of usefulness.  It really comes back to the issue of piping,
not of the tail command itself.  If this "tail400" utility were to exists,
would you then have to write applications that emulate grep and awk, sed,
less/more and all the other unix utilities so that you could realize the
command's usefulness?  Or would it be another application that has the
options of OUTPUT(* | *PRINT | *OUTFILE) ....  ?

Not to demean your good idea, but just to put things into a little
different perspective.

Dennis

"Metz, Zak" <Zak_Metz@G1.com>@midrange.com on 11/21/2002 09:48:39 AM

Please respond to midrange-l@midrange.com