From: Evan Harris [mailto:spanner@ihug.co.nz]
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 12:32 AM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: Question Re: Piping and Redirection

<snip>

I have run the tail command under qshell and it worked OK although I could
not quite imagine a use for it. I am assured by my unix colleagues that it
is extremely useful but I confess to not being able to dream of an
applicable situation regarding a database file. If I really wanted to know
when a process was ended for instance I would submit a job to the job queue
to send me either a page or a break message.

I am still at a loss as to why it is useful to see records "as they are
added" to the database. My mates made exactly the same claim as you BTW and
I am no more enlightened as to what benefits this confers. Straighten me out
:)

Admittedly I was only able to run it on stream files in the IFS - IIRC I got
an operation not allowed for type of file or something similar for a
database file in /qsys.lib but as I said this makes a certain perverse sense
to me.

</snip>