James

Very valid points.

There are reasons why WRKLNK was chosen.  The TLA  DIR was already
taken(sadly) years earlier for different reasons before the Tree structure
was added to OS/400.

And with the above statement you see seeds of why 'ls'  easier than WRKLNK.
OS/400 and it's command set was not designed for a tree structure.

It was designed on Library/Object/Object Type paradigm Not a
/Directory/directory/....

The ability of Unix to work on a directory structure was there from the
very inception of the OS.
It is no wonder that after 30-40 years of development that there exists
Nifty Tree structure commands.

You would expect that.  How many of those command were present 7 years
after Unix was invented?
(That's how long we had a Directory structure on this platform)

Objects, Libraries and the Object Type was at the core of OS/400.
It is not supprising it has a LOT of commands for Objects.

Unix's core structure has no concept of Objects or Object Types.  It
doesn't deal with them
naturally.  So to, OS/400's native command set is not "Optimized" for
Directory structured functions.

I believe those points have to be considered.

Your statement of;

<SNIP>
By and large it is gurus.
Because they choose an interface that for them is better *even in terms on
ease of use*.
<SNIP>

Is certainly true.  Believe it or not we had a similar phenomenon.
Our "Gurus"  used the command line using commands directly.
They would do a WRKACTJOB SBS(QINTER)

Those Not in the "Guru" class did those functions by
Go Main, <Take option 3>  to the System menu,  Take Option 2.
And so be guided via menus to where they wanted to go being held by the
hand.

peace

John Carr

ls
To list all the files in /home/james on OS/400 I would use:
WRKLNK
On unix I use this:
ls -ltr
James Rich