Hello,

On 13 Nov 2002 at 9:41, Gary Monnier wrote:
> Is it possible for you to move the "Select Count(*)" processes to your
> iSeries and then retrieve  summarized results?  A trigger, or stored
> procedure, on the file can update counters which your application then
> retrieves.  Or, if possible, you may want to modify your application
> to generate the summaries you are looking for.  In either case, going
> after summary level info will be faster than trying to summarize a
> large file every two minutes.

Well, the VROSIF file is actually quite small, it shouldn't have more than
5.000 records most
of the time.
The PC application has been programmed without consulting us AS/400 people. In
some
logfiles I see the following nonsense:

       select * from vrosif where order=4711
       update vrosif set sdat1='131102' stim1='14:02:30' where order=4711
       update vrosif set siid='020' user1='SORTER' where order=4711
       update vrosif set sistat='43' where order=4711

(not correct sql-syntax, just to show what happens).

Is it allowed to shoot that programmer?

> Another thing you may want to look at, if you haven't already, is your
> driver "Collection Pooling" setting.  This allows you to set the retry
> wait time and connection time-out period.  It also allows you to
> enable and disable performance monitoring.  IBM's Client Access ODBC
> driver help also states "Connection pooling enables your application
> to use a connection from a pool of connections that do not need to be
> reestablished for each use. Once a connection has been created and
> placed in a pool, an application can reuse that connection without
> performing the complete connection process, improving performance."

I will look into these settings, but I think it is already active. There is a
QZDASOINIT job
active since monday that is reused whenever the PC app disconnects...
About 10 times a day I see a new QZDASOINIT job starting for that ODBC user,
but it
immediately ends again and has no activity in the joblog.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Oliver