Not knowing your backgound, it's hard to give examples, but:

Source members(programs,files,displays,clps,etc,etc) are all
stored in src-pf files.

When you compile the member, you generally put it into a
seperate library. This "compiled" program is then considered
a "object". An example would be: compile a sample rpg program
from a library called sorcelib to a production library called
prodlib. The source member stays in one file, the object goes
to another library to execute from.

Soooo ... sorcelib contains a file named QRPGSRC that contains
a member called tstpgm.

You compile tstpgm and put the compiled version into another
library called prodlib.

Generally speaking, IBM provides examples of "suggested" file
name to store these members. They are self described and will
clue you as to what to expect in each file. Here are examples:

      ALL Source files where members are stored

QDDSSRC --- files and display DDS (members)
QRPGSRC --- rpg source (members)
QCLSRC  --- clp source (members)
QCMD    --- cmd source (members)
QMNUSRC --- menu source (members)
QS36SRC --- S/36 source members
QS36PRC --- S/36 Procedure members

Each file is considered a "multi-membered" which means it can
have more than one "named" thing in the file. Each member is
considered a "seperate" item in the file, even though the member
could be several thousand statements long.

I think you will get the idea. By using these names, it's a
little easier to know where to look for what ever type you need.

By the way, you can store ANY or ALL members in a single file
like QANYMEM or some other made up name. Save yourself some grief
and put them in IBM's suggested places. The person that follows
you will thank you also.