I consider SQL a language in itself, rather than just something I try to
retrofit into another language or use for ad-hoc reporting.

Like any other language, if you don't know what you're doing, you can screw
things up, write slow code, and what not.

Unlike other languages, SQL was designed to handle sets of data in complex
ways, and it does that well. But if your code only needs a record at a time and
can find it with a key, then you should use native DB access; it'll probably be
faster. Like any language debate will tell you, each has its place and benefits.

Unlike other languages, getting the syntax right in SQL is relatively quick
(YMMV...I speak of post-learning curve). Getting maximum performance out of the
queries requires some more work, stuff like creating indexes in ways that make
sense for your queries. In my mind this replaces the time I spend debugging
native code. It's a side of writing SQL code that may be missed by some who are
just getting into it, and therein lies the problem.

SQL can be a very powerful and effective tool, but you have to learn ALL about
it, not just how to write a select statement, if you want to get the most out
of it, and I believe wholeheartedly that if you want to implement SQL on some
scale within your company, it is important that all parties involved learn SQL
adequately, just as you would approach a new language.

Another aspect of this: You may be able to write some lightning-fast DB access
in RPG, but what happens when time and circumstance dumps you on another
platform? SQL is a good thing to learn if your knowledge is largely based in a
platform-dependent language. It's by no means the ONLY thing that you could
"widen out" to and benefit from in the mean time.

-----

Yet some, (not necessarily you) would have the belief that we should not
try to teach people new stuff.  Instead we should dumb down our code to
the lowest common denominator.