>Leif Svalgaard wrote:
>> And my point is that if you NEED the security, don't use an AS/400,
>> because the SLS architecture combined with all the other flaws
>> make that platform unsuitable.
>
>This discussion is mindboggling.  Unless I've been living under a rock
>somewhere, this is the first time I've _ever_ heard the SLS of the
>AS/400 put in a negative light.
>Jeff Crosby

No Jeff,   It's just that we are reminded daily of the lofty pinnacles  of
security reached on other platforms
(pick any from the headlines. Like MSN's own site shut down for example)
that we rarely hear about MSR  or SEP worms etc.

(let me see, some of you have worked on this platform for a decade, and you
might not have heard of
MSR or SEP worms,   How long do you think you could work on WinTel without
hearing about viruses????
Mcafee has made a living on the fact that you know AND need to know on a
DAILY basis)

Security aside,   Yes Leif,  I said aside.  (I will leave knowledge of
swapping system states, Task List spoofing, etc to you and the handful of
other people that know what I am talking about  I can think of 4 off the
top of my head).

SLS is an elegant system design with many automatic benefits.
Persistent Virtual addresses is a plus from many many perspectives.

The idea that the system is based on OO type of design and SLS I believe is
also a plus.

Lets say I have a .EXE on a PC,   I could write a program(C, VB, pick a
language) to read the first 100 bytes of that "File"
Even though it's a Program.    Try reading the first 100 bytes of a *PGM
object on the iSeries.

Lets see you run a VTOC or WESTOC on the iSeries.  Or write a program that
reads disk track by track on the iSeries.

Let me think of the multitude of DBA duties that I don't even have to think
of doing on DB2/400 that would have to be done
on NT or Unix  environment.
Balancing,  Extending, Compresses, Condenses,  Keysorts,
Gee look at what am I missing !
I could spend days playing with data sets, etc  on other platforms.

Hmm.   Ya say that Fort Knox is Really safe?  Well what they gonna do if I
drop a Nuke on it,
Lets see how safe and secure that site is now.      How far should you
prepare.

Yes, security is a attribute that needs to be balanced in the total
equation,  but I agree with others that say it is just ONE
attribute to be weighed.

just my $.02 worth (maybe less huh Leif?)

John Carr