Greetings again.

When I set up the OPS Console, I had set the session to be 27 x 132 screen
size.  The PCs dialing in were configured 24 x 80 screen size.  OS/400
would fail the attempt to communicate with the device, but would accept it
if the device was varied off, then back on.  With all PCs set up the same
screen size (24 x 80) OS/400 no longer cares which PC requests control of
the console.

I believe the 27 x 132 setting may be what is causing the controller and
display device to be varied off at IPL, and thus the console is not
available after and IPL.   I received V5R2 this morning, and hope to get it
installed this weekend.   I hope that doing so will fix a lot of weird
problems I have going on.