Excuse the post length, but Pat's response to an earlier post I made
reminded me of this little literary 'tongue in cheek' jewel that a friend
once sent me. As always, I mean no malice towards any
person/place/thing...just a humorous (if not thought provoking) look at
ourselves.    ;-)

>                                    OBITUARY NOTICE
> >
> >Today we mourn the passing of an old friend by the name  of Common Sense.

> >Common Sense lived a long life, but died from heart failure at  the brink

> >of the millennium.
> >
> >No one really knows how old he was since his  birth records were long ago

> >lost in bureaucratic red tape. He selflessly devoted  his life to service

> >in schools, hospitals, homes, factories and offices, helping  folks get
> >jobs done without fanfare or foolishness. For decades, petty rules,
silly laws and frivolous lawsuits held no power over Common Sense. He was
> >credited with cultivating such valued lessons as to know when to come in
> >out of  the rain, the early bird gets the worm, and life isn't  always
> >fair.
> >
> >Common Sense lived by simple sound financial policies  (don't spend more
> >than you earn), and parenting strategies (the adults are in  charge, not
> >the kids). A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great  Depression,

> >and the Technological Revolution, Common Sense survived cultural  trends
> >including body piercing, whole language, new math, and don't ask don't
> >tell. But his health declined when he became infected with the "If it
only helps  one person, it's worth it" virus.

> >In recent decades his waning strength  proved no match for the ravages of

> >federal regulation. He watched in pain as  good people became ruled by
> >lawyers and auditors. His health rapidly  deteriorated when schools
> >implemented policies where a 6-year old boy is charged  with sexual
> >harassment for kissing a classmate, a teen is suspended for taking a
swig  of mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher is fired for reprimanding an
unruly student.

> >Finally, Common Sense lost his will to live as the Ten  Commandments
became contraband, churches became businesses, criminals received  better
> >treatment than their victims, and federal judges invaded everything from
> >Boy Scouts to Professional Sports. As the end neared, Common Sense
drifted in and out of logic, but was kept informed of developments regarding

> >regulation of  asbestos, low flow toilets, smart guns, and mandatory air
> >bags, and he was in  disbelief when told that the homeowners associations

> >restricted exterior  furniture only to that which enhanced property
values.
> >It was the aftermath of  the 2000 Presidential election that caused him
to breathe his last  breath.

> >Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and  Trust; his
> >wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.  Not

> >many attended his funeral because so few realized he was  gone

Ray Shahan

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans", John Lennon