Scott:

No clear disagreement. Any comments about /QNTC are purely from the iSeries
perspective simply because that's the route my programming must take to reach
Win2K when the directory path points that way.

Though, even so, /QNTC (or Windows networking support or whatever all gets
involved) might make a difference. I have no good way to know what _really_
happens with internal buffers, data blocks, etc., when I O_APPEND at intervals
between opens/closes. E.g., is the last block (cluster, whatever) physically
retrieved from the Win2K Server and brought back to a buffer space in the
iSeries and then a pointer to the last physical data position found before my
first write()? or does my program simply start filling a buffer/block and the
buffer/block is sent all at once over to Win2K when it fills? or is each
separate write() transmitted? And is it all appended immediately after the last
physical byte or is it appended by block (cluster)? And when my /QNTC path
actually points to NetServer on a different iSeries system, does it behave the
same as Win2K? (Hmmm...)

Lots of possibilities. For my purposes, I don't care beyond simple technical
curiosity. Just recognizing the real importance of st_allocsize is plenty for
me.

Thanks much.

Tom Liotta

midrange-l-request@midrange.com wrote:

>  11. RE: stat(), st_size and st_allocsize (Scott Klement)
>
>I wouldn't blame QNTC, but rather I'd blame the way DOS/Windows looks at
>disks.

<snip>

--
Tom Liotta