 >> Has anyone used this?  is it more stable (code!%!) than WDT?

It includes a number of WDT components (more in a minute) so I can't really
answer that.

 >> Am I supposed to install it on top of WDT/400 or remove and install?

Either.  It will recognize the existing install and delete it for you.

 >> Will it work with a V4 box?  I connect regularly to a V4R4 machine.

It is only tested to V4R5 but my experience is that the WDT components will
indeed connect to V4R4 - I suspect the new bits will as well but can't be
sure as the oldest system I use lately is at V5R1.

Now to answer the questions you didn't ask!!

 -- What is new in this version ?

In addition to Code (renamed from Code/400) and VARPG you also get the
WebSphere Studio Site Developer Advanced with iSeries extensions.  Try
saying that fast after a couple of beers!  This is the new Eclipse based
workbench that will form the foundation of all future OS/400 development
tools.  It also does a nice job with your Linux and Windows stuff too.  The
iSeries extensions include WebFacing (in fact the WebFacing support in the
previous release was shipped on a custom version of Eclipse) and Affinity.
There is also a new iSeries project perspective which looks as if it will be
really interesting when it gets finished.  There is a fabulous WebSphere
test environment that means you can do all your WebFacing testing without
ever loading WebSphere on your 400 - which is cool.  There is no VAJava, but
the Eclipse Java support is good and getting better.  You'll miss the visual
composition editor if you used it though.

 -- I'm not interested in WebFacing, so how does the Workbench work for me.

You can use the iSeries project perspective (which is intended to be Code
Project Organizer on steroids - but hasn't made it yet) or the Remote
systems explorer.  From either you can launch source edits using either the
inbuilt lpex editor (a new java based version of the lpex that is shipped
with Code) or Code itself.  If you launch into Code - everything is as it is
today except the comms seem a bit more solid.  The comms in the Workbench by
the way are completely new and a vast improvement.  The new lpex really is
only usable for a quick one or two line code change.  It has color coding
and tabbing - but that's about it.  For serious work you'll need Code.  In
time as new features are added to the inbuilt lpex, the current Code will
disappear - let's hope that doesn't happen until _all_ the features are
there!!!

 -- Do I have enough disk space?

WDSc does not provide a selective install - it is all or nothing.  The
result is a disk requirement in excess of 1gig !!

 -- Do I have enough memory/CPU

Absolute minimum memory is 256Mb - my machine has a mere 192 Mb and it works
but is so slow that when I first load it, I not only go make coffee while it
loads, I can go to South America and pick the beans first!  My laptop is a
450Mhz P II - it is probably fast enough if I had more memory.

 -- Is it worth it?

Like it or not (and on the whole I do) this is the future of IBM's tools for
the 400.  The sooner you get into it, the sooner you can ask IBM to fix the
important bits!!  If you have the hardware, go for it.  If you have the disk
space - go for it and forget about using the Workbench stuff until your PC
is upgraded.

But we all need to tell IBM that not having a selective install was a HUGE
mistake.

Jon Paris
Partner400