I thought it was the other way around. When you avoid duplicate names on
this workstation, it adds the A B C D to the session name.  When you avoid
the duplicate names with other workstations,  you get the 1, 2, 3,  4, etc.

I know this is old, but ...

At 10:36 AM 9/6/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>This morning I found the group who
>had been given new pc's and V5R1 have all created new device names, User
>name and 'A1' appended to them.  We went with the user name to make it
>easier to find a session gone wild and kill it.  It annoys me that I will
>have to mentally strip out the extra 'A' to get the correct user name.
>
>Is there anyway to stop the adding of an 'A' to the session name from
>happening ?

In Communication --> Configure, uncheck "Avoid duplicate names on this
workstation" and only use "Avoid duplicate names with other workstations"