From: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
[mailto:midrange-l-admin@midrange.com] On Behalf Of Tarun Goel , Gurgaon
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 6:07 AM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: AS/400 equivalent of Mainframes SORT utility

        Hi everybody,

        I'm working on a mainframe to AS/400 conversion project. My
problem is related to finding an equivalent of SORT utility of
mainframes on AS/400. Has anybody worked on this earlier, please let me
know. I'm looking for solutions for some specific features that the SORT
utility has on mainframes. Just to let everybody know about it, you can
define summation fields to SORT and it prevents overflow of such fields.
To give an example:

        Let's say my input file has following fields

        FLD1            FLD2            FLD3
        AAAA            ZZZZ            1111
        AAAA            ZZZZ            8888
        AAAA            ZZZZ            2222
        AAAA            ZZZZ            4444

        And I specify in SORT to sort by FLD1 and FLD2 and sum up field
FLD3, the out put will have following data:

        FLD1            FLD2            FLD3
        AAAA            ZZZZ            7777
        AAAA            ZZZZ            8888

        See how it has added up FLD3 so as to prevent an overflow,
though the o/p is not really a unique record the SORT would not abend
and the sum field will also not be truncated. Can we generate similar
output from AS/400? If not then, what could be the best approach, so
that we don't have to touch existing applications processing logic, and
we feed the processing programs the same kind on input?

        Thanks everybody, in anticipation.

        Regards,
        Tarun Goel

****
        Disclaimer:

        This document is intended for transmission to the named
recipient only.  If you are not that person, you should note that legal
rights reside in this document and you are not authorized to access,
read, disclose, copy, use or otherwise deal with it and any such actions
are prohibited and may be unlawful. The views expressed in this document
are not necessarily those of HCL Technologies Ltd. Notice is hereby
given that no representation, contract or other binding obligation shall
be created by this e-mail, which must be interpreted accordingly. Any
representations, contractual rights or obligations shall be separately
communicated in writing and signed in the original by a duly authorized
officer of the relevant company.