I'm actually using the PCL to convert to PDF to try and
update my software products.  Everything looks perfect
except for "text" that is in a overlay.

Here's a snipped from the overlay source:

} (   (   (      020 00760001500076000166  00000   00000
} (   .   (      021 00760001500074000150  00000   00000
ø         !      022 00800020000000000000      0000000000
 Ship Via:                 Shipped Date:             Terms:
Sale
 sman:
{ â   â   &      023 06600049000800005200  00000   00000
ø                024 05100051000000000000      0000000000
 Total Due

That probably won't view so good, but you see there is text,
and spaces between words on non-normal characters get
converted funky.  :)  These are all examples from IBM's AFP
toolkit examples.

Brad
www.bvstools.com