From: Klein, Ron [mailto:ron.klein@acs-inc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 9:30 AM
To: ''MIDRANGE-L'
Subject: Updating fields with sql

Hi All,
I posted this question a couple of weeks ago on a Friday and didn't receive
any responses so I'll try again with the hope someone else will see it.

I need to update a field in file B based on a selection from file A and a
condition in file B.  Following is the SQL statement I have;

UPDATE NCTSFT16/"T16.PCTG" SET PC_MV_BATCH_NO = 0 WHERE pcvbch <> 0
and (digits(PCYEAR) concat digits(PCSKEY)) in (SELECT (digits(PCYEAR
) concat digits(PCSKEY)) from NCTSFT16/"T16.PPAR",
 NCTSFT16/"T16.PCTG"B
WHERE PPYEAR = B.PCYEAR AND PPSKEY = B.PCSKEY AND PPROLL <> 'V')

It seems to update the field okay but it runs for about 30 minutes on files
that have 16,000 records apiece.  There is a one to many relationship
between file A and file B.  We are trying to do this on V4R4.

Any suggestions on how to refine this thing to speed it up?

TIA
Ron