I've just started a process for backup using CDs. I do
the save to SAVFs, then CPYTOSTMF to the IFS, then use
the gzip utility to cut them really down to size (15% of
original in some cases). Then, next day, on the machine
with the burner, I manually (for now) copy from the IFS
to a DirectCD-formatted CD-RW.

gzip is free and available as part of a package called
GNU Tools for Developers, I think, at IBM. It's part of
the porting effort. It can be called with STRQSH or with
a CALL (this is a neat trick).