> Is there any way to make the terminal sessions automatically time-out
> without affecting the printer emulations?

There are several steps to controlling timeout.
system value qinactitv defaults to 0 or no timeout. I set mine for 15
minutes.
System value . . . . . :   QINACTITV
Description  . . . . . :   Inactive job time-out
Time out interval in minutes  . . . . . . :   15             *NONE, 5-300

system value qinactmsgq indicates what to do when timeout occurs
you want option to put msg in msgq - I used queue named Timeout

System value . . . . . :   QINACTMSGQ
Description  . . . . . :   Inactive job message queue
Message queue  . . . . :   TIMEOUT        Name, *ENDJOB, *DSCJOB
Library  . . . . . . :     QGPL         Name

This clp pgm TIMEOUTC gets called at ipl QSTRUP. it reads the msgq all day
and decides who to time out. The rpg timeoutr actually has logic of who
to kill or not kill.
PGM        /* read records from timeout msgq (updated +
by sysval qinactmsgq). If not selected +
user/device, end job */
DCL        VAR(&MSG) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(132)
DCL        VAR(&END) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(1)
DCL        VAR(&USER) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10)
DCL        VAR(&DEVICE) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10)
DCL        VAR(&JOB#) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(6)
CHGJOB     LOGCLPGM(*YES)
$READ:      RCVMSG     MSGQ(TIMEOUT) WAIT(*MAX) +
RMV(*YES) MSG(&MSG)
SNDPGMMSG  MSG(&MSG)
CALL       PGM(TIMEOUTR) PARM(&MSG &END +
&DEVICE &USER &JOB#)
IF         COND(&END = 'Y') THEN(DO)
SNDPGMMSG  MSG('job ended')
ENDJOB     JOB(&JOB#/&USER/&DEVICE)
MONMSG     MSGID(CPF0000)
ENDDO
GOTO       CMDLBL($READ)
ENDPGM

This is the msg that shows up in the msgq
Job 989493/ANITA/MQ has not been active.
ANITA is user
MQ is job name which in interactive terminals is usually device id.
I did not clip the rpg here - mine is hundreds of lines - I actually created
a file so managers can maintain who gets timed out.
Be careful to test well & default "not" to end the job.
This system value only pertains to interactive jobs.
Client Access and some other tn5250 have parms in
telnet server to "keep alive" a session. There has been
much discussion on telnet timeout and ibm knowledge base
has good articles.

hth
jim franz