Welcome to the business world, where you need to find compelling
justification for what you think you need in order to get your work done!!!

The abuse of printing privileges has resulted in an understandable
restriction. But there has not yet been a good replacement, IMO.

Does your school's 400 sit behind a firewall? It probably is, because there
is a web server that is giving you the HOD sessions. That means port 80 is
being passed in.

In order for you, at home, to get in with Operations Navigator (part of
Client Access Express) would necessitate opening up 6-10 ports more than
are already. Your instructor may not be inclined to do this. however, maybe
the case can be made for the necessity of it, to see the results of what
you are doing.

However, if the instructor were willing to do this, the AFP Viewer would be
the easiest approach, IMO. And no licensing fees to worry about.

OTOH, can you FTP from your school's 400? maybe you could download a copy
of the printout, copied with the print control information. Then you get
something like Word or Textpad to replace the control characters with
appropriate blank lines or underlining, etc. A good exercise in VBA in
Word! Or in regular expressions in Textpad!

Others must be facing the same difficulty.

Your IP address at home is probably assigned dynamically - otherwise, you
could set up your DSL gateway to pass a certain kind of traffic (lpr/lpd)
to an inside address, say, that of your PC with an LPD server, or of a
printer with an IP address in your home setup - not too likely, that. Then
you could set up (with prior approval) a remote OUTQ, as described. And,
even if your address changes, you could change the outq at the time you
need it, to point to the right address. This does open up your home network
a little, though.

At 10:24 AM 8/2/02 +0800, you wrote:
>Dan,

-snip-

>Currently, I am programming on the AS/400. This quarter invovles COBOL and
>RPG IV; last quarter started with CL programming.
>
>I liked your explanation on the remote output queue. Most likely, it wont
>work, since the AS/400 will not see it. My instructor most likely will not
>want to compromise security. I have asked my instructor on how to print
>from my PC, but he says it cant be done. Whether he will actually allow
>that or not, that could be part of his answer.

Being able to see YOUR PC is not a security issue, I think. It just can't
be done, unless you have an address on the Internet that you've paid for --
probably not, since you're a student - oh, the good old days!

-snip-