Adam and I worked it out. and BTW yes Justin was so crushed that he has
quit programming on the iSeries and started reading old Series 1 manuals.
<g>

Bruce "Hoss" Collins

                      "Dan Bale"
                      <dbale@samsa.com>         To:
<midrange-l@midrange.com>
                      Sent by:                  cc:
                      midrange-l-admin@m        Subject:  PC rambllings (was
RE: Domain Name routing)
                      idrange.com

                      07/30/2002 04:49
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      midrange-l

>You can word things in ways as not to offend someone without having to
>put the phrase "no offense". That immediately sends the message that
>you are about to offend but since I said "no offense" it is ok.
<snip>

I take it you've never read a response from Simon... <g>

Actually, now *I'm* afraid to say anything.  I personally did not find
anything offensive in that wording.  I know nothing about DNS.  Do I want
someone to write a treatise in order to be politically correct and not
"offend"?  NO!  Just give me the straight juice!  Jeez, give me a swift
kick
in the pants anyday to help me avoid serious pain in the future.

I just had to try something.  What if Adam had written:

"Modifying host files is the wrong direction, IMHO.  Modifying local host
files is only good for testing purposes.  Starting to do that for
production
is a bad practice to start."

Did that basically say the same thing?  Is it PC now?  "IMHO" could be the
PC way to indicate "No offense, but".  <deep sigh>

You know, there are some on this list that participate regularly.  If the
high-volume non-lurkers who reply to queries have to PC proof their replies
before hitting Send, they'll think twice before participating again, and
we'll all lose.

Now if someone says "you're a jacka$$ for doing it that way", then I'd
suggest there was a problem.

BTW, was Justin offended?

- Dan <Can't we all just get along> Bale
(I am *NOT* "Dale"
http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/200105/msg00281.html )