To: midrange-l@midrange.com
From: "Richard B Baird" <rbaird@esourceconsulting.com>
Subject: Copy a file from IFS to an NT box on network
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:15:31 -0500

hey all,

when answering, keep in mind that i am decidedly not well versed in the
mysteries of networking - iseries, NT, novell, etc. - but i've been asked
to recommend a way of doing the following:

situation: Iseries (v5r1) on corporate network - a mixture of NT and
Netware.

they currently have software that monitors an outq dataque, and creates a
.PDF file from reports that appear on that outq, and places the pdfs in the
ifs.

we would like to modify this, so that it will do one of the following...

in addition to the IFS, write the .pdf to a pc disk too (probably Win2k, or
similar) also on the network.

or

monitor for new files in that path on the ifs, and copy the files to the pc
disk.

the idea being that users can access the files, without being given any
authority to the iseries IFS.

prefer to use rpg and/or cl.

so, I guess what I'm saying is, can as/400 programs recognise other network
paths?  is it just a matter of specifying '//computername/c$' or similar
instead of using an ifs path?

I'd appreciate any recommendations, or even a little direction.

thanks a bunch,

rick