Hello  Andrew,

Because one of our clients sends us his order in XML format, I looked at the
AlphaWorks XML Parser (downloaded XML4PR400), and run the sample RPG programme
of a previous download (It was mentioned in another thread). My first
impressions?

For a conversion from a text XML-document to a file on the AS/400 you can
better write something in RPG: you can access files on the IFS with the
UNIX-type API's, scan for the tags, create 2 or 3 PF's to define the XML
schemes on the AS/400 (I wish IBM intend to use DDS to define XML schemes on
the AS/400), etc.

Running the sample in debug, you have to call a number of API's to retrieve one
tagname. It is a similar thing in Java with the SET- and GET-functions. The
sample is not intuitive and the former mentioned solution is easier to
implement.

Because the RPG code is a set of wrappers to C++ API's (object oriented) a good
explanation of what a call actually is doing, has been omitted. The
documentation in HTML list the API's with some technical info. There is nowhere
to find a text which tells you, which API's to call (and in what order) for a
simple conversion.

Just my two Euro cents.

Carel Teijgeler