Sorry Jeff you have completely lost me.  They packaged the compilers and the
tools as a single entity.  Any shop that used PDM and at least one compiler
is not paying any more than they would have paid.  So who suffers? and in
what possible way does this put nails in the coffin?  The only people who
suffer as far as I can see are the relative few who paid for PDM etc. but
had no compiler.

Jon Paris
Partner400

Hi Jon,
        who suffers? The small IT shop who runs a small AS/400, probably a
bought-in application, and who want to 'develop' small CL programs to help
automate their system.  Sure EDTF is an option, but that certainly requires
more skill/expertise to use it for CL writing than SEU.
        The cost of purchasing WDS just to get hold of SEU is absurd. We can
use UPDDTA cmd without having DFU, we can use RUNQRY *NONE <filename>
without having Query, I can CRTCLPGM without having (specifically) purchased
that compiler.  Why can't IBM let me use SEU to only edit CL source - I
don't want to write RPG or anything else (though PF/LF/MENUDDS would also be
useful); I think PDM should be free too, but I concede that may be a freebie
too far.
        Fundamentally I believe that the packaging of these products into a
single WDS is a bad move for AS/400.  Analogy - if I go to the supermarket
to buy baked beans, I do not expect to have to buy tinned peas and spaghetti
too.
        If I was in the business of utilities development, I would have a
source editor out like a shot.  Freeware products like WRKDBF and SSLCD are
a real credit to the developers, though I would be happy to have paid for
them.  I purchased PKZIP, Paragon CDROM emulator and Copernic for my PC, all
at great budget-conscious prices.  This kind of software development and
marketing is the ultimate weapon we could use against IBM's unfair AS/400
software sales policy.

Thought: sell 10,000 copies of EDITCL cmd over the web at $50 a copy =
$500,000; that would be cool.

Jeff Bull

http://www.star.net.uk

DISCLAIMER

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the
individual and not necessarily the Company. This email
and any files transmitted with it, including replies and
forwarded copies (which may contain alterations)
subsequently transmitted from the Company, are
confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not
the intended recipient or the
person responsible for delivering to the intended recipient,
be advised that you have received this email in error and
 that any use is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please notify the IT
manager by telephone on +44 (0)870 871 2233 or via
email to Administrator@itm-group.co.uk, including a copy
of this message. Please then delete this email and
destroy any copies of it.

http://www.star.net.uk