I placed my laptop in the DMZ of my Linksys router and connected via the
host name to my 400 and the session did not drop.  So to summarize what
I have found.
1.  If I connect via my Linksys/DSL via VPN to my office LAN to the 400
using a host name, sessions drop due to inactivity.
2.  If I connect via my Linksys/DSL without VPN to my 400 using a host
name, sessions drop due to inactivity.
3.  If I connect via my Linksys/DSL via VPN to my office LAN to the 400
and use the internal IP address of the 400, the sessions do NOT drop.
4.  If I connect via my Linksys/DSL without VPN to my 400 using the
internet/external IP address of the 400, the session so NOT drop.
5.  If I connect via my Linksys/DSL with my PC in the DMZ of the router,
using either the name or IP address, the sessions DO NOT drop.
6.  If I connect locally on the same LAN as the 400 using either the IP
address or the host name, the sessions DO NOT drop.

So, basically the only time I have trouble with dropping sessions is if
I connect remotely via my DSL/Linksys router with the host NAME of the
AS400.   So clearly, my problem in in the Linksys router, but I can not
see anything in the router than I can change to prevent this from
happening.

cjg

Carl J. Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
550 Kennesaw Avenue, Suite 800
Marietta, GA  30060
(770) 422-2995 - voice
(419) 730-8212 - fax
mailto:cgalgano@ediconsulting.com
http://www.ediconsulting.com
AS400 EDI, Networking, E-Commerce and Communications Consulting and
Implementation
http://www.icecreamovernight.com
Premium Ice Cream Brands shipped Overnight

"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know" - rw