Again, much thanks.

Comments inline

> On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 vhamberg@attbi.com wrote:

-snip-

> From the command-line (MS-DOS prompt) in Windows, you have a "route"
> command which can be used to add/delete routes and also to display
> the current routing table.  With this command, you can specify destination
> subnets.
>
> I've used it on my Win98 box at home when I had a PPP connection to my
> intranet at work, and a separate cable modem to the Internet.   In that
> circumstance, I added a route to use the PPP connection only for my
> intranet's subnet, so that the default gateway would continue to be my cable
> modem for internet...

Very cool

> > It appears I did not need that route. It is no longer on
> > the 400, and I think someone may have removed it. Or
> > would it just have got rolled up into *DFTROUTE
> > automagically? I was not sure, and wanted to explicitly
> > direct things through the LinkSys. The 400 has an
> > address of x.x.x.211, with next hop of x.x.x.214, which
> > is the address on the inside of the DSL modem. That gets
> > us out the subnet assigned by our ISP.
> >

> Oh, so the 400 has a public IP, and you added a route to tell it how to
> get to the private IPs...  that would work, but it would be redundant if
> the same router is used for your *DFTROUTE.

The x.x.x.214 next hop is the DSL modem. But, even so, my STRCODE traffic gets
to the private subnet. As you say below, it keeps looking until something will
handle the packet. The LinkSys (it's actually a cable/DSL router) is blocking
any WAN access, but is forwarding this packet, based on port, I assume. I
thought I had to explicitly name x.x.x.213 for this to work, but apparently not.

-snip-