From: midrange-l@midrange.com
Date: Monday, July 15, 2002 13:30:21
To: code400-l@midrange.com
Cc: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: Newbie - all manner of problems

I've cross-posted this - I'll gladly take any replies on
CODE400-L. Sorry, I'm desperate.

I'm trying to get going with CODE. We just got the July
refresh of WDT that has WebSphere Development Studio
Client. I'm having fits. This thing is NOT intuitive and
many things do not seem to work.

1. I made sure I have a distinct current library.

2. I installed the V4SP1 service pack.

3. When I try to use the non-STRCODE method and set up a
server, add to its library list, and then start CODE
Editor and open the server, I get <SERVER>*LIBL returned
0 items.

4. If I had used STRCODE, the libraries show up.

5. I don't like that there is no verifier for C source.
Apparently.

6. When using "IBM WebSphere Studio Site Developer
Advanced" the libraries show up, with either connection
method. If I right-click a source member, there is an
option to open with CODE Editor but it does nothing.

7. If I use the LPEX Editor, the function keys must not
be defined, as in the CODE Editor. F9 does not go to a
command line - yes, Virginia, there is a tab for that.
Verify is not available for anything there, not even RPG.

We basically don't use RPG or COBOL - what good is this
junk? (Forgive me -- I've been struggling with this
product for over 5 years, off and on.) Please help me to
love it!!! Where is the real Getting Started that will
lead me by the hand? And I hope I'm not this stupid! <g>

For something that wants to be our universal development
environment -- for now, no way, yet!