Joel,

Check the QTSMTPSRVD job.

There is a line that looks like this:
    Queued outgoing distributions: 7 and queued incoming distributions: 0

This means there are 7 messages that have failed to negotiate with another
system. It does NOT mean that there are 7 messages in
QSMTPBOX. It could be that the leading message has a damaged header and is
causing a bottleneck. If the status is the same after 30
minutes (or whatever the retry interval is), time to do a little cleanup.
CHGSMTPA is the command to check the retry intervals.

When the data area has been created in QUSRSYS and SMTP restarted, there will
be a line like this preceding the above line:
    Object QTMSCLEAN in QUSRSYS type *DTAARA deleted.

On our system the data area is in a utility library and gets duped to QUSRSYS
when their appears to be a problem. The only time the
queue numbers can be obtained is when SMTP is started.

Do this before doing a *clear on MSF. Doing  *clear on MSF can leave messages
stranded in SMTPBOX requiring manual intervention. If
doing a clear, end SMTP and make sure nothing is in SMTPBOX.

Hope this helps. We send and receive several thousand messages every day on a
170 running V5R1. This is our 4th year running SMTP on
an AS/400.

Terri

--

[ t_scott-etter.vcf of type text/x-vcard deleted ]