Sorry, I get this list in Digest, so this is multiple replies at once...

> From: James Rich <james@eaerich.com>
>
> This is not the answer you want to hear but I would forget
> trying to make
> email work on the iSeries and use a cheap linux email server
> instead.  It
> really is easy and reliable.
>
> Of course everyone is free to disagree.
>
> James Rich

James,

It's not that I don't want to hear it, I am not averse to new technology at
all.  My problem is that I need these e-mails automatically sent from RPG
programs.  How can I do that if not by issuing a SNDDST command?

> From: "Justin Houchin" <justin@RELIATEK.COM>
>
> Are these jobs running under the QSYSWRK Subsystem with no error
> messages in each job log.....
>
> QTSMTPBRCL   QTCP        BCH      .0  PGM-QTMSBRDG     DEQW
> QTSMTPBRSR   QTCP        BCH      .0  PGM-QTMSBRSR     DEQW
> QTSMTPCLTD   QTCP        BCH      .0  PGM-QTMSCLCD     DEQW
> QTSMTPSRVD   QTCP        BCH      .0  PGM-QTMSSRCD     SELW
>
> And your not running domino by chance, are you?

All running, no error messages, no Domino.

> From: "Rick Klopfer" <rklopfer@daytonprogress.com>
>
> Check to see if the SMTP server jobs have "high" CPU usage.
> If so, a message could be "stuck" and keeping email message
> flow from proceeding.  There is a fix for this...

No CPU usage at all.  Out of curiosity, what is the fix?

> From: "Booth Martin" <Booth@MartinVT.com>
>
> What is really irritating to me is that this is not new
> stuff.  New for the
> OS/400 folks perhaps, but that's no excuse this late in the
> game to get it
> wrong.  Like James says, Linux does it right, and cheap.
> You'd think the
> OS/400 folks could look at exisiting, proven code, or hire
> the OS/2 whiz
> that did MR2/ICE.   This is not the place for OS/400 to try
> to improve on
> the code of others.

I couldn't agree more.  This should be a lot easier than it is.

> From: "Brad Stone" <brad@bvstools.com>
>
> If you have a mail router, check that that machine is
> working properly.
>
> You can also run a trace, although rarely does that help
> much it's so cryptic.  :)
>
> I found that V4R4 and up email works pretty good.  It is
> missing a few bells and whistles, but it works.
>
> Usually if our mail stop, we stop MSF, then restart it with
> the *CLEAR option.  This will clear all old emails but may
> help unplug it if it's a bouncing mail that's causing
> problems.
>
> Also check the job logs for MSF and SMTP.
>
> Brad

Not sure about the mail router question.  All incoming e-mails (for several
domains) end up on an Exchange server on our network, but the outgoing
e-mail should work directly from the 400.  Again, the frustrating thing for
me is that nothing has changed (and I'm the only one to mess with this stuff
on this machine) and it was working and now simply is not.

I don't actually need any bells and whistles, I just want it to work.

I think I'll leave TRACE until I'm REAALLY desperate :-)

I will restart MSF with *CLEAR and see if that helps.

Nothing in the job logs.

Thanks everyone!

Joel R. Cochran
Director of Internet Services