If I understand this correctly, you want to check for duplicate
characters anywhere in the string.

___JOHN_WAS_HERE_______ String being scanned
^______________________         Counter #1 - Start of current scan
^______________________         Counter #2 - Character being compared to #1
^______________________         Counter #3 - Last non-blank character
(at start)
_______________^_______         Counter #3 - After 1st pass
______________________^         End-Of-String (set to '23' at start)
_______________^_______         End-Of-String - After 1st pass

That being the case, you need to parse the string as follows:

Counter #1 - starting point of current scan

Counter #2 - Character you're comparing to

Counter #3 - Last non-blank character found in string

Let End-Of-String = length of string you're checking

Start at the left end of the string; Counter #1 points to the
beginning of the current scan.

LOOP:

If cell contents at Counter #1 = blank, increment and start over
(unless Counter #1 = End-Of-String).

Let Counter #2 increment from Counter #1 to End-Of-String.

        For each value of #2, compare the contents of cell at #2 with
contents of cell at #1.
        If you have a match, you have duplicate characters, and the
string fails the test.

As Counter #2 increments, if the contents of cell #2 not= blank,
Counter #3 = Counter #2.

At the end of the first pass through the string, Counter #3 points to
the last position where a non-blank character was keyed.

        Let End-Of-String = Counter#3.
        (This lets you scan only where the user keyed something).

Increment Counter #1

If Counter #1 < End-Of-String, GoTo LOOP

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@ix.netcom.nospam.com