> No, I don't consider Linux competition.  Not even close.

This widespread attitude among the AS/400 community increases my certainty
that IBM is going to get its lunch eaten by free Unix-like operating
systems.  If the attitude instead was something like "wow, some of this free
Unix stuff is neat; let's change OS/400", then I might have some hope for
OS/400's future.

I mean, IBM decided only a few years ago that TCP/IP wasn't a fad.  IBM has
abandoned its httpd in favor of Apache.  The AS/400 hardware is essentially
that of a Macintosh, but costs ten times as much.  Perhaps you can achieve
five nines, but we're into diminishing returns, since anyone can get 99.9%
of that reliability with one one-hundredth the investment in some free
Unix-like OS and any random PC.