I here you. Yet it seems that the time to activate things could be
insiginificant for longer running commands. And other once-in-a-while
things aren't going to be too badly affected by the startup process. The
convenience of commands, with prompting, etc., weighs heavily in their
favor for a lot of things, I think.

The main issue might be file opens, but you COULD write these without a
full close, I'd think, and with a special "last time" parameter to do the
full close. Maybe a hidden first parameter in commands that both use the
same CPP.