From: pam@medisense.com [mailto:pam@medisense.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 8:44 AM
To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
Subject: Since when is adding DASD so difficult?

I could use some advice on the following conundrum:

We have a Model 720 on V4R4. All the bays in both the system unit and
the expansion unit are filled with 8 GB drives, giving us a total
capacity of about 300 GB. We need to add about 100 GB. I had thought the
obvious solution would be to add another expansion unit and add in some
17 GB drives.  Simple, right?

I am told that the current technology for expansion, a PCI tower,
requires V4R5. The next option is swapping 8 GB for 17 GB drives in
place. This means a lot of planning to cover the risks. Another
possibility would be to get a used SPD tower, which may need to be
discarded when we finally do upgrade our OS.

What's your feeling on these options? Do you have any other suggestions?

Pam Phillips
Abbott Laboratories
MediSense Products
4A Crosby Drive