Don,
Thanks for the analysis... it was far better than my weak reply warranted.
My remarks at the end were strictly satirical, but how many times have we
heard the equivalent to "LPAR is the killer app."?  In the Linux world, it's
the Beowulf cluster, for Microsoft, it's .NET.  Everybody's trying to
leverage their agenda in some way.

Have you seen the successful UGs try something similar?  Adopt a specific
theme rather than the broad "AS/400" banner?  Here in Albany, NY we don't
have a UG, and haven't for as long as I can recall, so I don't have any
personal experience in that area, but other "user group" organisations I
belong to have done just that - become more specific and less general.  Sure
you lose some members, but overall a group of 20 where 15 are active
participants seems better than a group of 50 where 20 are active.

The point being that if it's possible to isolate elements that make a UG
successful, it may be possible to spread the word to all the UGs... give
them something to try.
  --buck