Matthias,

I'm assuming that you (like all of us) have some budgetary constraints.
The two realistic QIC tape drives for the 270 are the #4583 (16 GB) and
the #4586 (25 GB).  They are both capable of reading your 2.5 GB tapes
and have total capacity (with compression) of about 32 GB and 50 GB
respectively.  Throughput on the devices is 1.5 MB/Sec and 2 MB/Sec
respectively, so the #4586 is slightly faster.  Throughput would compare
with 500 KB/Sec for your current 8mm device, so both would be
considerably faster and the 270 is likely to drive the devices at their
full rated capacity.  List prices are $3,900 and $5,000.  You probably
have a good idea of your total data storage requirements for your daily
backups.  I would spend the extra money for the 25 GB device if that
will get your stuff on one tape.  Also check the cost of media if that
is a factor.

Steve Richter's suggestion on using save files and then saving them to
tape is a good one, particularly if it is helpful to get it all done in
a short amount of time.  If you have a large window of time and can get
it all on one tape, then it may not matter.

Regards,
Andy