From: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
[mailto:midrange-l-admin@midrange.com]On Behalf Of Leif Svalgaard
Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2002 6:45 AM

>The issue was: do you NEED special hardware to run fractional
>partitions. What does hardware provide for this that can't be done
>in software? This question has not been answered.

It is a good question.

I am still looking for the reason the cpw per processor of the new regatta
890 is only 40% more than that of the former high end 840. Even though the
clock speed is 100% greater.

My calculations below.

Steve Richter

( from the iSeries handbook, v5r1 )
model 840, #2354.  Cpw 15150 to 20200. Processors 18 to 24.  Processor
speed: 600 Mhz.

15150 / 18 = 841 CPW per processor.
20200 / 24 = 841 CPW per processor.

Model 890. 37,400 CPW. 32 Processors.  Speed: 1.2 Ghz ( as per press
reports )

37,400 / 32 = 1168.75 CPW per processor.

1168 CPW = 140% of 841 CPW.