Over time the iSeries has provided many of the so called "UNIX-type" APIs
to facilitate the porting of applications to the iSeries (though this is
not the only reason for the Unix-type APIs).  Back in the early V4 days one
set of APIs that was identified as being needed for porting were those
associated with various time based services.

These APIs include adjtime() which allows for small incremental changes to
a clock (slowing down or speeding up the perceived clock); gettimeofday()
for accessing a perceived current time (with adjustment applied) along with
time zone information; and settimeofday() for setting the perceived time.
As some of these functions were not available with the system clock (like
time adjustments along the lines of adjtime()), but were needed for the
porting activities, the software clock was "invented".

Unless you are working with existing applications from other platforms that
use these APIs I would not worry too much about the software clock and the
related APIs.  As the API section introduction mentions, most system
components do not base their timestamps on the software clock but rather
use the system/machine clock.

Bruce

                      "Leif Svalgaard"
                      <leif@leif.org>           To:
<midrange-l@midrange.com>
                      Sent by:                  cc:
                      midrange-l-admin@m        Subject:  Re: Simple Network
Time Protocol (SNTP)
                      idrange.com

                      05/14/2002 02:18
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      midrange-l

From: Bruce Vining <bvining@us.ibm.com>
> While there is currently the concept of a job date associated with a job,
> do not believe you will currently find any attribute such as "job time"
> associated with a job on the system.
>
> There is system time (basically the time associated with the system clock
> and accessed with system values such as QHOUR, MI such as MATTOD, HLL
> operations such as RPGs TIME, etc.) and the software clock time (used by
> very few system components and accessed with software clock specific
APIs).
> Unless you have specific need to be aware of the software clock, it
> generally can be ignored (and I feel safe in saying is probably unknown
> 99.99% of iSeries developers).

Bruce,
Educate us about the software clock (APIs etc). To evaluate if I have a
"need"
to be aware of the software clock, I need to know what is for, etc.