David,

People don't upgrade because of many reasons:
- fear of change
- ignoring the fact that a (supported) older release is having as many
ptf's generated as a newer release
- don't want to work the weekend
- feel that everybody should work for nothing and eat nothing but manna
from heaven and can't understand why they should have to pay a support
contract
- don't mind the numerous security holes that are opening in their systems
because they are using an older version of the OS that no longer has PTF's
applied to it.
- It's a Catch-22 thing.  The techies at their customers would love to
upgrade but cannot get management to approve the downtime because the
vendor still supports running their software on unsupported versions of
OS.  And the vendor thinks they must continue to support these older
operating systems because they think the customer actually wants them to.
- People thoroughly understand why they need to upgrade their PC's every 2
to 3 years to run basically the same application but get increased
productivity, but can't understand why they shouldn't run their 400 for 9
years at the same level of OS and hardware.  They also don't understand
why everybody is putting new NT servers in because the 400 is getting
slower by comparison.
- People have purchased instead of leased.  And think the government must
be all knowing when it comes to depreciation schedules.

Benjamin Franklin

David & Eileen Keck <bstars@optonline.net>
Sent by: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
05/11/2002 08:46 PM