Steven,

You should have a better understanding of what your application is doing
than I.  If it was performing order entry from a batch input file, it is
entirely possible that each modem thread could open order detail, order
header, ship-to, inventory, and a multitude of other transaction files
concurrently.  Or it is possible, as Walden Leverich pointed out in a
separate post, that the application is not closing its database
connections and the JVM garbage collection is not getting around to
closing them in a timely manner.

What does your application do?  Specifically what information does it
get from and put to the database files on the AS/400?  How many tables
does this represent?

I think the situation is heavily dependent on the nature of your Java
code.  From your first post I believe you are seeking to understand the
situation.  If the code is a package that you don't want to get involved
with, then just let things be.  There really isn't a problem, although I
understand the desire to get rid of 800 non-essential jobs.  If you can
be reasonably assured that no will be using JDBC/ODBC connections when
the polling is complete, you could issue an ENDPJ command at that time.
I wouldn't recommend that unless you have a high level of clarity that
no one will be affected.

The QZDASOINIT job will end after it has been called 200 separate times,
regardless of whether it is called from the same program or not.  The
prestart jobs are used so that your client program doesn't have to wait
for program initiation on the server side (AS/400) in order to process a
database transaction.

Regards,
Andy