Steven,

Assuming that the polling application is initiating the jobs, QZDASOINIT
is processing a JDBC request against your database and then returning
the results to your program.  I am assuming that your polling
application works against a DB2 database.  Is it possible that your
application has around 800 database connections open concurrently?  I'm
not a Java coder so I don't know much about whether a database
connection needs to be explicitly closed within the application.  The
QZDASOINIT program will process IP-based database requests from other
sources as well as JDBC.

The maximum number of uses (200) specifies how many times a pre-start
job can be reused before the subsystem ends the job.  You can assume
that the 800 jobs did not reach this limit.  If it is reasonable for
your application to have this number of database connections active,
then what you are seeing is reasonable.  You might want to increase the
initial number of jobs, the threshold, and the additional jobs parameter
so that more jobs are created less frequently.

Regards,
Andy

> Subject: QZDASOINIT
>
> Could anybody explain how QZDASOINIT actually works. There is
virtually no
> reference to the procedure in the manuals.
> The reason why I am requesting this info is that we have a server
> connected
> to the AS400 running some polling software on this (in Java)
> Attached to the server are approximately 40 modems , polling around
5000
> sites each night.
> QSERVER is recycled at 19:30 each night , but I have noticed that each
> morning (after the nightly polls) QSERVER has around 800 QZDASOINIT's
> running underneath the subsystem.
> I am not sure if these amount of jobs should be open ?
>
> So I am after a little bit more understanding on exactly what this job
> does.
>
> The job runs with user profile QUSER (we had to change QUSER max temp
> storage to *NOMAX - as we had a connection problem)
>
> Under QSERVER the prestart job entry detail is as follows
>
> Subsystem description:                QSERVER                 Status:
> ACTIVE
>
> Program  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :
QZDASOINIT

>       Library  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :
QIWS

> User profile . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :            QUSER
>
> Job  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :
QZDASOINIT

> Job description  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :            *USRPRF
>
>       Library  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :
>
> Start jobs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :            *NO
>
> Initial number of jobs . . . . . . . . . . . . . :            1
>
> Threshold  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :            1
>
> Additional number of jobs  . . . . . . . . . . . :            3
>
> Maximum number of jobs . . . . . . . . . . . . . :
> *NOMAX
> Maximum number of uses . . . . . . . . . . . . . :            200
>
> Wait for job . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :            *YES
>
> Pool identifier  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :            1

QPWFSERVER
QSYS