Don,

Perhaps the clearest resource for TCP/IP dial-up would be chapter four
of the IBM Redbook "V4 TCP/IP for AS/400: More Cool Things Than Ever",
available at:

http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/sg245190.h
tml?Open

This won't give you a complete application with error-checking but it
would get you started.  The various objects created (lines, controllers,
devices, etc.) are the 'resources' which define your configuration.

The RTVCFGSTS (Retrieve Configuration Status) command can be used to see
whether a line, controller, or device is in a proper status prior to
varying on or off.

This doesn't answer all your questions, but it could be a good place to
start.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse

> Subject: HELP establishing dialup in an application
>
> I'm no comm guru, as you'll soon see.  If there's a good RTFM
resource, by
> all means please point me to it.  If there's a published free
application
> with source that does all this, I'd love to see it.
>
> I am trying to educate myself on what is involved in automatically
> establishing a dialup connection so that we can FTP several files from
the
> AS/400 to a server once each day - with NO user intervention.
Messages